Monday, August 16, 2010

Yeah, We're Forty(ish)! And Freakin' Fabulous!

     Okay I'm forty (ish!)!
  And boy are there a ton of things around me lately reminding me of that fact! My greying hair (yikes already??), meeting up with old friends I haven't seen in 30 years (seriously that long???)  and ...my teenage daughter. (hence the greying hair...)
    There's nothing that makes you feel older than listening to a bunch of 13 year old girls talk about how everything is sooo different nowadays from the stone ages when you grew up!  No cell phones, computers, or ipods?  Seriously, dude, you had to get up off the couch to change the channel? And there were only 5 of them! Man your old.     

                                       Hey wait a minute.... I don't feel old!

    So then,  what does it really mean to be a 40 (ish) woman in 2010?
    Should we just sit around waiting for our AARP membership to kick in?
    Does it mean we've run out of time to go back to school, try a new career or learn to play the piano?

                                  I say HELL NO!

    We have the best times of our lives ahead of us, let's move forward and make our dreams a reality!
  
    I truly believe that our 40's can be the beginning of a new and exciting chapter in our lives. It's a time when we know ourselves better then we ever did before. We know how strong we are and what we are capable of.  Now is the perfect time to explore new options and decide what we want our future to be.  We still have time to realize the dreams we might not have been able to pursue in the past.  Or, we may have new ambitions that we've only just begun to imagine!
     
  Need some ideas on where to begin this self discovery?    
  Ignite your passions through exercise....
  If you feel like you need a change, or just want to challenge yourself, improving your level of fitness and diet are a perfect place to start.
  Losing weight and getting into shape gives you the mental self confidence as well as the physical stamina you need to go after your dreams whatever they may be.  When you achieve your fitness goals you transform your life.  Soon you'll see options open up for you that you never thought possible!
 
  The question I always get is, 
  " Can a women who is forty(ish) really lose weight and build muscle after years of not eating right and not exercising as much as they should have?"
   Absolutely!!
  Don't believe anyone when they say you can't lose the weight that has been a part of who you have been for so long.  And yes! You still have abs, and they can be found!
  .  But it is different in our 40's...
    Physically, our metabolism slows down starting around the age of 30,  due to muscle loss and a decrease in physical activity.
   You probably have noticed you can't eat (or drink) the same way you did in your 20's without gaining weight. Nutrition is key for us. If you exercise without consistently eating clean you will not see results.

   We need the whole package:
   2-3 days of strength training, cardio, and clean eating.
   These are the keys to being successful once we hit 40. 

   The sooner you start, the easier it will be, and the greater the impact you can make on your body and health
  
  Back to that 40 (ish) woman in 2010...
  I say she is taking classes, starting a new business, writing her first novel and getting into the best shape of her life!

  So to all those teens out there,
  Forty (ish) is Freakin fabulous!
  Does anyone want to learn to knit with me?




**Tell me about the new things you're trying in your life. If you are starting an exercise program, let me know how it's going.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Haley, GREAT post. I am starting to look at everything I eat and my own exercise patterns after turing 40 this year and have been working on improving it all. I definitely can't let things slide like I used to and I definitely don't think that age prevents fitness, exciting life events or anything else. I'm with ya, sister.

    ReplyDelete