Eat Clean Challenge Week 5
Take food from home to eat throughout the day, instead of eating out.
One of the most frequently asked questions regarding making eating clean a permanent lifestyle change is,
What do I do when I'm not at home?
The answer is simple... yet it will take some planning.
You must ALWAYS bring food with you (including snacks and drinks) when you will be out of the house for longer than 2 hours.
If you do not bring your food with you, you will not be successful because it will be impossible to eat clean on a consistent basis.
**You will also find that you save a lot of money when you bring all your food from home.****
Here are some tips to make" brown bagging it" easier to do:
1. Plan your meals and snacks for the week over the weekend and purchase the food you will need for them. Cook any meals you can over the weekend and put them in the freezer or refrigerator depending on how long they will last.
2. Buy a large cooler and ice packs that you can store a larger amount of food in to keep in your car. Purchase a small cooler bag as well to have for one meal or snack.
3. When making dinner, make extra of the protein and use it the next day in for your lunch as a sandwich or salad topping.
4. Pack your food the night before so that you aren't too tired or rushed in the morning and tempted to skip it and eat out.
5 If you have to dine out with clients for work, you should still pack your food. Eat your snacks throughout the day and have something light before you go out to your meeting. Then you can order just a small salad or broth based soup to have when the others are eating a full meal.
6. Make a huge pot of homemade yummy broth based soup that you can have all week long. Soup is a great food to take with you on the go you just need a nice thermos to keep it in. You can have it for lunch or a snack as long as it's not cream based. Soups are easy to make and are lowest in sodium and calories, and highest in good veggies and lean protein when you make them yourself.
EASY SNACKS TO PACK (use your cooler for perishables!)
You want to make sure you eat both protein and carbs for your snacks. These can also be combined together for a lunch.
1. Cut up veggies and bring portioned amounts of either hummus/Greek yogurt or low fat cottage cheese for dipping
2. 10 almonds (if not allergic) and sliced apple sprinkled with Cinnamon
3. A banana and a tablespoon of all natural soy/sunflower/nut butter (store in small plastic container)
4. Low fat string cheese with orange
5 1/4 cup raisins with cup Greek yogurt
6 100 calories of all natural whole grain crackers with 1/3 cup berries
7. 100 calories of whole grain cereal with berries
8. Make a shake at home in the morning with frozen berries and plain yogurt store in a thermos.
9. Instant oatmeal ( if you have somewhere to heat up some water) with skim milk
10. Don't forget to bring green tea/Puerh with you and plenty of water so you won't be tempted to hit the soda machine!
11. Air pop a half cup of popcorn (bring in ziplock bag) in the morning and have it in the afternoon if you want a little fun snack when everyone pulls out the chips!
You will really notice a difference on the scale if you are very careful about what you eat when you are not at home. I hope these tips help make it easier to incorporate "taking it with you" into your life. Let me know if you have any other tips that might help!